My latest edition to the family, the X100s.

So, this has been a long time coming. About 2 years ago I borrowed my fathers X100 when he was visiting from out town. I was instantly hooked, amazed, frustrated and excited ... all at the same time. It was a love hate relationship at first as I dove in and really got to know the camera. I had trouble focusing at times, especially in low light and it took a short while to get used to the feel. It was certainly different from my full frame cameras that I use for paid gigs.

The two weeks he visited I don't think he saw the camera once. I had it on my at all times. I took it out to some Christmas parties, some nights out and some walks. All the while, really getting it know it better. The more I used it the more it amazed me. Especially once I started editing the images in Lightroom.

Then it was gone. My Dad left and took his camera with him. The following few months were hard as I constantly longed to have one but just couldn't justify the price. I would continually go to the camera store here in town and talk to the owner, all the while in the back of my head trying to convince myself to just get it.

Then for some reason, I decided to get the X-E1. The whole interchangeable lens thing just made sense at the time. I still have that camera today and love it. After that, I decided to get the X-Pro 1. My reasoning was that I already invested in a couple lenses so why not. My master plan was to eventually use the Fuji's for my upcoming wedding season. It didn't quite go as planned.

For my first couple weddings I did bring them with me, along with the 35mm 1.4 and the 18m 2.0. They worked fine but were nowhere near the speed (focusing) that I have become accustomed to working with via my full frame Nikons. So I reserved them to slow and deliberate scene shots or the occasional portrait photo. Keep in mind this was before the next couple firmware updates which would eventually greatly increase the autofocusing speed.

I actually picked up a used X10 about a year ago. It was a great price and I just couldn't resist. While it was a good camera, and it got a lot of use, something was still missing. That itch for the X100 just never went away.

Seeing as how I didn't foresee myself using all the Fuji cameras to justify the cost, I ended up selling my XPro 1 which was tough. And also my X10 which was also kind of sad because it was a great little camera.

Then, just a couple weeks ago I got a great deal on a used X100s and I snapped it up immediately. I haven't looked back since and I have pretty much used it every day. The X100 had some issues as many people have pointed out on numerous forums, but I never really had a problem with that camera. But, the X100s ... just works. Sure it may focus slow in macro mode, and low light isn't the fastest but I have absolutely no complaints.

I have so much confidence in that little camera already that I used it on a paid shoot in which children (not sitting still) were involved. It worked great. I will be writing a future post on that in the near future with photos to prove it.

Most of the photos I take with my the X100s are randomness. I just like getting close and really trying to find that interesting angle of an object or a scene. I then take it into Lightroom and play around with the processing. Here are a few recent images.

The first one is of my girlfriend holding our cat Nessie.


While playing cards on the kitchen table, a muffin was placed down and this is the result.


Just a wine glass. But I loved the texture on the bottom.


Fooling around with the Macro mode.


And lastly, my girlfriend (as usual) posing with the guitar.

0 comments: